WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Check your Passport.
- You will need at least 6 months left before it expires on the day of travel.
- On the day of travel, it must be less than 10 years old.
- New UK Passports will be blue.
You will need Travel Insurance that covers healthcare.
- The EHIC is still valid until it expires.
- The EHIC will be replaced by the GHIC.
- You can apply for a GHIC once your EHIC is going out of date.
- The EHIC/GHIC only gives you emergency or necessary state (not private) medical care, for the same price as the EU resident. Travel insurance is still recommended.
Check you have the correct Driving Documents.
- You will need a Green Card (Vehicle and trailer insurance). A Green Card is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. You must carry a physical copy.
- Contact your insurer to get one for your vehicle.
- If they post one to you – allow up to 6 weeks.
- Alternatively, they will advise how you can download one.
- You will need an additional Green Card for a caravan or trailer.
- Or if for some reason you have multiple insurance policies covering your trip you will need Green Cards for each policy.
- Also, you will need a GB sticker, unless your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own (not with an EU logo) or with the Union flag.
- Some countries will require an International driving permit.
Organise new Pet Travel documentation.
- Contact you vet at least 1 month before travel. The pre 2021 pet passport is no longer valid.
Visa’s are not needed for tourists.
- Stay up to 90 days in a 180-day period for most EU countries.
- From some point in 2022 there will be a £6.28 Visa Waiver for Holidays and Short Trips. This will be issued by the “European Travel Information and Authorisation System.” This will last 3 years.
Limits on Duty Free goods have changed, you will be charged tax on any excesses.
- For example, 4 litres of spirits and 200 cigarettes
- Duty Free extended to the EU from January 2021 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
EHIC – European Health Insurance Card
GHIC – Global Health Insurance Card
Check the governments website for the latest accurate information.Visit Europe from 1 January 2021 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)