Where is Sheringham?
Sheringham is a pretty Victorian town in the English county of Norfolk within the United Kingdom.
Sheringham is a traditional English seaside town.
Where to park in Sheringham?
If you arrive in Sheringham early, then the best place to park is down The Esplanade, as the parking is free and there are toilets as you walk towards the promenade. The toilets however are up some steps.
The postcode for the Esplanade is NR26 8LG
What is there to do and see in Sheringham?
Whelk Coppers Tea Rooms
- The premises used to be fisherman’s cottages.
- The tea rooms are right on the sea front.
- It is dog friendly (as per their Facebook page)
- According to their website the wrought iron gates were reputedly designed by Walt Disney a friend of the original owner! Another reason for this place to be awesome!!
- Location 25 The Driftway, Sheringham NR26 8LD
We had a fabulous cream team here, with an amazing view of the sea. Would highly recommend. (The scones were huge, so you could share one portion between two ……… if you really wanted to!)
North Norfolk Railway Station
- Heritage steam Railway
- The Poppy Line
- A must for train enthusiasts
- From Sheringham to the Georgian town of Holt with a stop at Weybourne (under non COVID-19 circumstances).
- Sheringham station has toilets, a refreshment room and a shop. The toilets are accessible from the street.
- Holt station has toilets, model railway, shop with refreshments and a miniature railway. Potentially only the toilets will be open in 2021 while COVID-19 restrictions are in place.
- Operated almost entirely by volunteers.
- Trains operate daily from April to October.
- Ordinarily, they hold events and have dining cars on the Poppy Line.
- As I write this the pricing is £40 for a compartment for up to 4 people for a return trip to Holt.
- Additional adults £10 each
- Children 3-15 £5 each
- Max 6 people per compartment.
- Postcode NR26 8RA
We travelled on this last summer. Due to COVID-19 we had our own private compartment (which was fabulous). The train did not stop at Weybourne and it only stopped briefly at Holt and you couldn’t leave the station, but you could nip to the loo. You then got back into the same compartment. Each compartment used was then sanitised once the return trip had ended.
It was a lovely journey with distant views of the coast, a golf club and Weybourne train station. I would highly recommend. Having the compartment to ourselves was an added bonus.
RNLI Lifeboat Station
- Has training launches between 10 -12 on a Sunday.
- The Lifeboat Station is accessible to the public 10am – 4pm every day from Easter to the end of September.
- Is run entirely by volunteers.
Sheringham wall murals
- These are amazing and found throughout the town.
- These are worth a visit to the town in themselves!
- Every Wednesday and Saturday
- Between April and November for the Wednesdays. All year for Saturdays. With Saturdays being the larger market.
- Found near the Railway Station
Sheringham museum – The Mo
- As I write this, The Mo is currently closed. Please check the website to see when they reopen.
Norfolk coastal path
- The path runs a total of 84 miles and runs through Sheringham.
- You get some amazing views from here.
- Wide and flat
- With toilets, murals and colourful beach huts.
- Benches for relaxing and enjoying the view.
- Landscape park and woodland garden with stumming coastal views.
- You are currently recommending on booking your visit.
- Toilets and a café.
- Dogs must be on a lead.
Traditional Norfolk buildings covered in flint.
- Popular around Norfolk
- It is found naturally in chalk.
- It is almost pure silica.
- Flint is a hard black mineral similar to glass.
Hilltop outdoor centre
- Shops selling local produce.
- Intriguing gift shops
- Amazing sandy beaches when the tide is out.
- Beach huts
Events in Sheringham
While Sheringham ordinarily has a number of annual events. As I write this none are showing as on this year. Examples of previous events are
- Sheringham Carnival
- Sheringham crab and lobster festival
- Sheringham 40’s weekend.
Here are a few ideas to enhance your next trip to Sheringham
🎁Secret Cromer and Sheringham Paperback – an interesting read especially if Sheringham is new to you. https://amzn.to/3vRe1Eu
🎁Dinky Map Sheringham – a useful book for your bag https://amzn.to/3cMfl2x
🎁OS Explorer Map 252 Norfolk Coast East Map – perfect if you love to explore https://amzn.to/3tzjNZk
🎁If you plan on spending time on the beach, or have a hot tub at your accommodation, a poncho is perfect to keep you warm once you come out of the water. It also allows you to remove your swimwear with privacy! I have the cheaper version, but I have also given you a link for the dearer option, that many sports people use. For me these were a game changer when coming out of the hot tub!!
1) The cheaper version, which comes in different sizes and colours https://amzn.to/3vG0QWO
2) The more expensive version used by surfers for example https://amzn.to/3cPYP1w
Please note the links above are affiliate links, which means that we see a very small commission on any of the products you purchase. This will not affect the price you pay and is just a way of supporting our adventures. Thank you for your support. ❤