Where is Great Yarmouth?
Great Yarmouth is found in Norfolk which is on the East Coast of England in the UK.
The Cathedral City of Norwich is not far away. With its quirky streets and independent shops.
Where to park in Great Yarmouth
We wanted a long stay car park, so we went for a first choice of North Drive car park, which has 266 spaces and is close to the end of the golden mile (Marine Parade). Its postcode is NR30 1ED. The current max price being £9.30.
In case that was full, our second choice was Saint Nicholas car park, which has 520 spaces and has a postcode of NR30 3JP. The current max price is also £9.30. But luckily on the day we visited that wasn’t necessary.
Car park prices – Great Yarmouth Borough Council (great-yarmouth.gov.uk)
Our day in Great Yarmouth
Overall, we had a lovely day in Great Yarmouth, it was the first dry day in what felt forever, albeit a bit chilly. But the sun came out periodically in the afternoon, which was very welcome.
But oh my goodness, there is so much to do in Great Yarmouth. We just walked, explored, people watched and ate!! That alone took up our whole day. We didn’t go into any of the piers and as we were there off season during the week, the Pleasure Beach was closed, so we didn’t venture in their either.
There really is just so much to do, much in close proximity to each other. Obviously this means there is the opportunity to spend, spend, spend!!!
The image at the top of this factsheet depicts Great Yarmouth really, beach, sea, pier, amusements, food and drink, seating, relaxation!!
The pedestrianised area down Regents Road was a pleasant place for a bit of tourist shopping, pretty much something for most tastes.
We enjoyed the best part of our day exploring all that Marine Parade had to offer and then the promenade back to the North Drive Car Park.
Along Marine Parade there were plenty of places to eat, plenty of benches and a decent number of toilets.
There is a big project going on, along Marine Parade, they are building a new state of the art Marina Centre. The new Marina will include pools, water flumes, a gym, climbing wall and much more. On the building hoardings, you will find lots of history in words and pictures about the area and the Marina in the past and the plans for the future.
What is there to see and do in Great Yarmouth along the Golden Mile (Marine Parade)?
Along Great Yarmouth’s coastal road you will find,
And so much more that we will go into in more detail below,
- An amusement park/Funfair that has been a feature in Great Yarmouth since the beginning of the last century.
- There are lots of rides for all ages and levels of thrill seeking including the wooden roller coaster that has taken pride of place at Great Yarmouth’s Pleasure Beach since 1932.
- I’m not sure if I’m alone, but every time I ride this, I think I’m going to hit my head on one part! Obviously, I don’t!!
- You used to be able to wander around the Pleasure Beach for free, but now everyone including non-riders have to pay. The current costs are £13.50 each with under 3’s being free. Which to be honest is quite reasonable, but equally adds up if you are a family!
- You also have to currently prebook a session. This may just be a COVID-19 thing, so please check the website for up to date information.
- Check out the free to enter Pleasure Beach Gardens, with rides for smaller guests with great theming, a café and lots of benches. This is open every day.
- Pleasure Beach – Great Yarmouth (pleasure-beach.co.uk)
- Joyland has entertained children in Great Yarmouth since 1949
- A great little funfair for families on the Great Yarmouth Golden Mile.
- In my video which goes live at midday on Saturday 10th July, you will see some examples of the many rides in Joyland, including the famous Snails.
Merrivale Model Village
- A great area offering so much more than just the fabulous model village.
- There is also a garden railway, crazy golf and the Merrivale Tearooms.
- When you walk down the road beside the Merrivale Model Village there are little peepholes allowing you to have a look and decide if you fancy venturing in.
- Great Yarmouth’s – Merrivale Model Village
Great Yarmouth Giant Wheel
- A pier with lots to offer,
- Live shows
- Food and drink
- And more
- Britannia Pier (britannia-pier.co.uk)
- Food and drink
- Wellington Pier (wellington-pier.co.uk)
The Venetian Waterways
- The Great Yarmouth Waterways consist of the Venetian Waterways, Ornamental Gardens and a Boating Lake
- The Waterways fill a seven acre park next to the beach.
- There is an on-site café at the Waterways.
- You can entre one end of the Waterways right next to the North Drive Car Park.
- About – The Waterways, Great Yarmouth (venetianwaterways.com)
Scroby Sands Visitor Centre
- Scattered all along Great Yarmouth’s Golden Mile for you find multiple colourful amusement arcades with a wide array of machines.
Open topped buses
There are many other attractions, hotels and restaurants along the Golden Mile.
Plus, elsewhere in and around Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth Town
- Yarmouth Market
- Market Gates Shopping Centre
- Time and Tide Museum
- The Time and Tide Museum is a 10-minute walk from the seafront.
- Elizabethan House Museum
- The Elizabethan House Museum is found in Great Yarmouth’s town centre, close to the river.
- Vauxhall Holiday Park
- We stayed here many years ago and it is possible to walk into town and to the Golden Mile from here, it is likely to have taken us around 30 minutes to get to the sea front.
- Row Houses & Greyfriars Cloisters
Close to Great Yarmouth
Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens
- Thrigby Hall is a 15-minute drive from Great Yarmouth’s Golden Mile.
Great Yarmouth Racecourse
Great Yarmouth Stadium
Caister on Sea
- Caister Castle Motor Museum
- Caister Lifeboat Station
- Pavillion Theatre Gorleston
The Norfolk Broads
Berney Arms Windmill
- This is currently closed for maintenance.
- Berney Arms Windmill | English Heritage (english-heritage.org.uk)
For an even better idea, please check out my video of Great Yarmouth, which will go live on Saturday. There is also a video already live of the drive into Great Yarmouth from Vauxhall Holiday Park.
Here are a few ideas to enhance your next trip to Great Yarmouth – they include Amazon affiliate links.
🎁 Map of Norfolk Coastal Path & Peddars Way https://amzn.to/3pp0tNF
🎁 Great Yarmouth T shirt https://amzn.to/2Rw4L9s
🎁 Great Yarmouth Fridge Magnet https://amzn.to/3vYUmBV
🎁If you plan on spending time on the beach, or have a hot tub at your accommodation, a poncho is perfect to keep you warm once you come out of the water. It also allows you to remove your swimwear with privacy! I have the cheaper version, but I have also given you a link for the dearer option, that many sports people use.
1) The cheaper version, which comes in different sizes and colours https://amzn.to/3vG0QWO
2) The more expensive version used by surfers for example https://amzn.to/3cPYP1w
3) Here is an option for a poncho for the non-UK market https://amzn.to/2PxlWXe
📸We took the pictures on my Sony ZV-1 camera https://amzn.to/3u1VKCY
Please note the links above are affiliate links, which means that we see a very small commission on any of the products you purchase. This will not affect the price you pay and is just a way of supporting our adventures. Thank you for your support. ❤
One thought on “Great Yarmouth Factsheet? What is there to see and do in Great Yarmouth?”