What is Sunnyvale?
Sunnyvale is a holiday park in North Wales that cater for tourers as well as static caravans and lodges. You are also able to buy a holiday home at Sunnyvale.
Sunnyvale opened 99 years ago! With the current owners having been there for the past 55 years.
Where is the Sunnyvale Caravan Park in Rhyl?
Sunnyvale can be found in North Wales in the United Kingdom close to the seaside town of Rhyl, in Kinmel Bay.
The Postcode for Sunnyvale Caravan Park is LL18 5AS
Sunnyvale is right next to the beach and a short walk into Rhyl.
Where can you book your holiday at Sunnyvale?
- You can book directly with Sunnyvale
- See below the website wasn’t user friendly.
- You can (maybe) book with Holiday Park Lodges (HPL)
- Not sure if this is a new site soon to go live or an old site, but I couldn’t get prices or availability here either.
- Static Caravan UK
- Although the most basic of websites, it actually had the most information, you could see availability and prices here.
What accommodation did Jill and Brian use for their stay?
They were in a 2002 Peugeot Autosleeper Pollensa motorhome for this trip (nicknamed Polly).
Jill and Brian’s review of Sunnyvale and this part of their trip
Jill and Brian were on a road trip encompassing Greenacres Caravan Park in Porthmadog, Riverside Camping in Caenarfon and finishing with Sunnyvale in Rhyl.
This part of the trip took place between 5th June and 12th June 2021
The previous parts of their trip can be found on the Ears and Ideas website. Just put the name of the campsite in the search field.
On Saturday 5th June, Jill and Brian left Riverside for their journey to Sunnyvale in Rhyl, which was a 36-mile drive, mainly on the North Wales Expressway.
They arrived early so nipped to Asda for lunch and some shopping. They were then just ½ a mile away from Sunnyvale.
On arrival they discovered that there were no wastewater disposal plots on site. So sadly, it was necessary for them to use a bucket several times a day to empty their wastewater at a single disposal point, next to the toilet emptying point.
Their touring pitch was number 49, which was just a few yards from the rubbish bin area. On their arrival at midday on the Saturday, the bins were all full and were not emptied till the Tuesday. As you can image it was smelly and rubbish was collecting all around the bins, attracting Seagulls!
The pitch was also surfaced with crushed stone with many larger sharp pieces making walking on it very uncomfortable for them and obviously not good for their new tyres.
However, the most negative aspect of the touring area was the fact that the toilet and shower block was only open from 9 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon, thus if you were out for the day, it was not available. This was very inconvenient for the families with young children. Every other site they visited only closed these facilities for cleaning and were therefore available for almost 24 hours.
On registration they had to pay a £10 refundable deposit but were not told what for.
Jill and Brian enjoyed days visiting Rhyl and Llandudno during their stay at Sunnyvale.
What are the facilities at Sunnyvale?
Next to the beach, with direct access to the promenade
Surrounded on 3 sides by water
- 49 touring pitches
- Approx 50% are occupied by seasonal caravans.
- Pitches had electricity and water, but no waste disposal
- Shower and toilet block open 9am till 4pm only.
- For holiday rental or purchase.
- For holiday rental or purchase.
- Due to COVID 24 hours is left between guests and a fogging machine is used to sterilise the accommodation prior to a deep clean.
- Bed linen and duvets included
- Gas and electricity included
All weather sports pitch
The Gallery Bar (pet friendly)
The Chester Variety Club
Super-fast wi-fi hotspots
I had a look at the website as was interested in their lodges, costs and facilities. The booking page is not user friendly I had to keep going in and try different dates and holiday lengths, to no avail, I presume they are fully booked. It would have been nice for me to have one try, then the website to tell me what is available around those dates. Little things like this put me off bothering again.
Would Jill and Brian stay at Sunnyvale again?
They would visit Rhyl again but wouldn’t stay at Sunnydale, in their. opinion there are sites at Towyn or Abergele that would suit them better.
What is nearby to Sunnyvale?
- ½ a mile away from Sunnyvale
- Postcode LL18 5EQ
- This has a height barrier, so not suitable for motor homes.
- There is parking on the next street suitable for motor homes.
- Some of the other motorhome owners had actually stayed there overnight, without any restrictions.
- Other stores on site included The Range, B&M, Home Bargains to name a few.
- Postcode LL18 1LR
Fish and Chip Shop
- Near to where the motor homes above were parking
- Darbey’s Chippy
- Market and Boot Sale
- Jill and Brian enjoyed a morning here, along with a brew and cheeseburger.
- The wheelchair was manageable on the surface here.
- Postcode LL22 9NW
- Tir Prince – Amusement Park, Arcades, Funfair, Markets & Harness Racing – Attractions North Wales
- From the harbour, you can head over a footbridge into Rhyl.
- Rhyl Harbour | Denbighshire County Council
- The promenade has recently had millions spent on it. Revitalising it and it now has many features for all of the family.
- A long, soft, sandy beach
- Donkey rides
The Crown Green Bowling Centre
Rhyl pedestrianised shopping precinct
- On street parking for motorhomes on the parallel streets of Water Street and Queen Street, although Pay and Display.
- Jill and Brian have a Blue Badge, so had unlimited parking.
- Jill and Brian both enjoyed Fish, Chips, Peas, Bread & Butter and a cup of tea for £14 for the two of them here.
- You will find the Piazza Restaurant on the corner of High Street and Sussex Street.
- There is inside and outside dining.
- The Piazza Rhyl | Facebook
Harbour Hungry Horse
- A few minutes’ walk from Sunnyvale.
- The Harbour Pub Restaurant | Rhyl, Clwyd | Hungry Horse
- A new waterpark.
- SC2 Website – SC2 Website (sc2rhyl.co.uk)
- With live Seal shows
- SeaQuarium Rhyl – Home
- Haven for watersports lovers
- Perfect for yachting and fishing
- Coastal walks and cycling trails
- 5 minute walk from Sunnyvale.
Rhyl Miniature Railway
What is near to Rhyl to visit?
- Jill and Brian were able to park their Motorhome on the main shopping street.
- It is normally a 90 minute limit, but they had unlimited parking with their Blue Badge.
- Famous cable car and tram ride to the summit of Great Orme.
- Historic house and museum.
- Welcome to Bodelwyddan Castle & Park, North Wales | Bodelwyddan Castle (bodelwyddan-castle.co.uk)
Welsh Mountain Zoo
GreenWood Forest Park
- Conwy Castle
- More about Conwy Castle | Cadw (gov.wales)
Back in 2015 when we on a trip to the area, our sat nav was being pretty random and took us all over the place, which was an absolute bonus as it brought us through the beautiful town of Betws-y-Coed. So we had to visit it on one of the days following. I would highly recommend it for a couple of hours visit.
Snowdonia National Park
- Breath-taking scenery
- Go Ape
- Surf Snowdonia
- Zip World
- Llanberis Lake Railway
Can you get discounts on Sunnyvale?
There are not currently any offers, but it is always worth checking.
Tesco Clubcard deals
If you are new to Tesco Clubcard deals, I have written an article to help you. I use my vouchers for a mixture of hotel stays and Hoseason Holiday discounts. How your grocery shopping can help pay for your travels! – Ears and Ideas
As above if you are new to Quidco, I have written an article. But basically, if you are a member (free and paid memberships) just by going through their site you can get cashback. I have received almost £500 from the past few years. Save Money On Your Next Trip – Ears and Ideas
The final one I would suggest you check out is TopCashBack, again I have written an article if you’re a new to this site, it works in the same way as Quidco. Want to get your next trip cheaper? – Ears and Ideas
It is also worth checking if there are vouchers or cashback available for activities you might want to do during your trip.
The bulk of the information and the review for this trip has been provided by guest authors Jill and Brian Crawford from their 2021 trip.
I have to say with the research I did to supplement the information provided by Jill and Brian, I am quite interested in visiting Rhyl in the future. So watch this space for a more detailed review of Rhyl.
All information was correct and links were active when the post was written in August of 2021. With the comments about Sunnyvale being correct at the date of their stay.