What is Southern Halt?
Southern Halt is a secluded park full of detached holiday lodges. Proper wood-built lodges, not the caravan sort of lodge.
Southern Halt is part of the Charteroak brand of luxury Holiday Lodges, with the other park being Stonerush Lakes. Both are found in Southern Cornwall.
Stonerush Lakes has an onsite restaurant called The Old Mill.
With both Southern Halt and Stonerush lakes there is the option of purchasing a lodge or having a well-earned break in one.
To book a holiday at Southern Halt, you will be directed to their partner Sykes Holiday Cottages.
Charteroak Lodges in Dobwalls – Sykes Holiday Cottages (sykescottages.co.uk)
Where is Southern Halt?
You will find Southern Halt near the town of Dobwalls near Liskeard in Cornwall, England.
The Postcode for Southern Halt is PL14 6HB
What size is 12 Meadow Retreat?
It is a 1-bedroom lodge with parking for 1 car.
How was our stay at 12 Meadow Retreat?
Our stay at 12 Meadow Retreat in Southern Halt was a fabulous prize I won through the Woman’s Health magazine. As it was a prize, we didn’t have to pay anything, nor we were obliged to provide any feedback. So, all of the views in this review are completely my own.
While at Southern Halt, we stayed in 12 Meadow Retreat, which is categorised as an iGym lodge, due to the fabulous facilities within the lodge.
Check-in is at 4pm and check-out is at 10am.
This is our perfect type of accommodation. A well-built detached property with all mod cons inside, with the benefit of being of a quiet and peaceful site. Although As you will see below from my point of view it’s not 100% perfect, but very close.
- The lodge was amazing, the use of space was really well thought out.
- From the outside you would never imagine all of the rooms inside the lodge.
- The lodge was nice, clean and airy.
- We had a contactless check in and out. I was emailed the gate and door codes.
- Pretty much everything was of a high quality.
- I did though feel the dining chairs were flimsy
- THE BED WAS AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE
- So many of the places we stay let themselves down on this. But not this one!
- A great shower and decent enclosure.
- While there was no shelf for shower gel etc, you could rest it on the shower controls.
- Top of my list is having a lodge in a quiet private location, this absolutely hit the mark here.
- We loved having the cinema room, a nice comfortable space for watching movies and YouTube
- Although we had a play in the Gym, Sauna and Spa they would not be a selling point for us.
So, the negatives
There are no true negatives, but if I’m looking for MY perfect lodge these are the additions I would like
- There is only an undercounter fridge with icebox.
- More and more lodges are now providing guests with full sized fridge freezers now and some the American style fridge freezer.
- There is a washing machine, but no tumble dryer
- There was no towel for the kitchen or oven gloves. So, you may want to bring your own.
- No dressing table,
- This is a biggy for me, if you read any of my accommodation reviews you will see this.
- Basically, I want a table, chair, plug and mirror all in the same place.
- I had to use the dining table with a mirror I’d brought with me
- No side coffee table in the lounge
- We had to use the table from the Cinema Room
- So, it could be said there is flexible furniture on this regards!?!
- No fan or air conditioning
- Luckily, we brought our own fan as this is generally not included.
- I would prefer an outside hot tub rather than the spa bath.
- The bins and recycling were found by the exit of the park.
- When we stayed in a lodge at Peckmoor Farm the lodge had a rubbish bin and recycling box.
- That was the one and only time so far, we’ve ever had it, but it was nice.
- There was a pint of milk in the fridge
- The was a boxed bundle which included
- Biscuits, tea, coffee
- J cloth, sponge, dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid and bin liners
During our stay at Southern Halt we visited the towns of Looe and Dartmouth. Videos and factsheets will be coming soon on both of those.
What facilities are in the lodge
It is probably easier to say what facilities are not at lodge 12 Meadow Retreat!
Spa Room with bath robes
- Indoor spa bath with TV (open to the bedroom)
- Separate (private) walk in shower and toilet room with basin.
Private Gym (the iGym)
- Cross trainer
- Exercise Bike
- Boxing punch bag
- And more
- Washing Machine
- Gas hob
- Electric Oven
- Wine Cooler
- Plus pretty everything you might need in the drawers and cupboards
If you check out our video on YouTube at ears and ideas you can see exactly what the contents were
- Large TV
- Leather recliner chairs
- With sofa, dining table and chairs, TV
Outdoor seating veranda from the living room
- Overlooking a pond
- Privacy is provided from the surrounding plants
- With rocking chairs
Outdoor seating veranda from the bedroom
- With privacy fencing
- Small table and chairs
Bedroom with a king-sized bed.
Parking for one car
The lodge contains a total of 4 Televisions!
Extras provided in lodge
Pint of milk in fridge
A few packets each of tea, coffee, sugar
Washing up liquid
A couple of dishwasher tabs.
No pets in our lodge, but they do have dog friendly lodges on site.
You are also provided with a hair dryer, Iron, ironing board and clothes horse
Fuel, power, electric, gas, towels and bedding are all included.
From the Sykes website, there is a Good Housekeeping bond of £150, but we weren’t asked to pay this, but it may have been as ours was a prize.
What facilities are at Southern Halt
Lodges are all nicely spread out within 22 acres and many are surrounded with hedges giving added privacy.
No shop or café on site.
Our lodge was called an iGym lodge, due to the facilities, but other lodges had different extras, for example; pool tables, games rooms, outside hot tubs, steam room.
Where is there to eat nearby?
We didn’t get to try any of these so I can’t recommend or otherwise.
The Old Mill at Stonerush Lakes
- Postcode PL13 2RW
- 15 minute drive from Southern Halt in the direction of Looe
- 4 – 9pm Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun
- Limited variety, but good prices.
- Burger, steak, fish and chips for example plus vegetarian and vegan options.
- To book a table call 01503 220 220 during reception opening hours.
- 4 – 9pm Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun
- Similar options to the above plus pizza.
- Drinks only are available on the above days from 1 – 10pm
The Highwayman Pub
- Postcode PL14 6JD
- Open 11am till late
- Just a 2 minute drive from Southern Halt
- A 15 minute walk from Southern Halt, just under a mile (although it is a narrow country lane!)
- Large car park
- Indoor and outdoor tables.
- Good priced pub grub
- Really good reviews on trip advisor
The Cheesewring Hotel
- Postcode PL14 5LE
- 10-minute drive from the Lodge
- Pub grub
- Open Noon to 2pm and 6pm to 9pm daily
- Huge choice good prices
- Inside and beer garden
- Great reviews on Trip Advisor
- The Cheesewring Hotel – The Cheesewring Hotel
The Crows Nest Inn
- Postcode PL14 5JQ
- 10-minute drive from the Lodge
- Indoor and outdoor seating
- A good mixture of food and prices.
- Great reviews on trip advisor
- Crows Nest Darite Liskeard, Good Food Pub Darite Liskeard (thecrowsnestcornwall.co.uk)
The Hayloft Restaurant
- Postcode PL14 3PJ
- 9 minute drive from the Lodge
- Open Wed to Sat 5-9pm and Sun 12-2.30pm
- Not cheap but a nice-looking menu.
- Great reviews on Trip Advisor
- Hayloft Restaurant near Looe & Liskeard- The Best of Local Food (hayloft-restaurant.com)
Hot Wok Renaissance
- Postcode PL14 3AB
- 7 minute drive from the lodge.
- Chinese Restaurant
- Mainly good reviews on Trip Advisor
- Hot Wok Renaissance | Facebook
- Postcode PL44 4AA
- Currently delivery only
- Fancyish food
- Tapenades (tapenadesrestaurant.co.uk)
- Nepalese & Indian restaurant
- Everest Tandoori Liskeard | Indian and Nepalese Restaurant | Liskeard, Cornwall,PL14 3HW – Everest Tandoori (everestliskeard.co.uk)
- Nepalese restaurant
- Order Online – The Himalayan Spice – Liskeard
- Fish and Chips takeaway
- Ian’s Plaice | Facebook
New Lai Wan
- Chinese Takeaway
- 4 stars on google
New Kwong Lee
- Chinese takeaway
The Best Kebabs
- Kebab shop
- Takeaway and delivery
- Best Kebab Liskeard
What shops are nearby?
- Postcode PL14 3PR
- We used this store for our shopping
- 8 minute drive from the lodge
- Petrol Station
- Postcode PL14 4AA
- 6 minute drive from lodge
- Hot food
- Postcode PL14 3XA
- 8 minutes drive from lodge
What is close by to visit.
Trago Mills Liskeard
- Postcode PL14 6HY
- Distance from lodge 3 miles
- Time to drive from lodge 6 minutes
- Liskeard – Trago Mills
The Eden Project
- Postcode PL24 2SG
- Distance from lodge 15 miles
- Time to drive from lodge 26 minutes
- Open daily 9am to 6pm
- Pre booked online time slots are essential
- But you can then stay as long as you wish
- Pay once and visit all year!!
- Under 5’s, carers and members go free
- Adult from £32.50
- Child (5-16) from £10.00
- Senior (60+) from £30.50
- Student (full time) from £27.50
- Toilets (245 of them!) and seats
- Bring a water bottle, taps are all around
- Responsibly sourced food
- Fairly traded
- Seasonal and/or local and freshly made
- Vegetarians, vegans, meat-eaters, gluten free diets and those with other dietary requirements and catered for.
- Fair prices
- Biome Kitchen
- Stage Café
- Little Lunch Box
- Pasties, Sausage roll, sourdough melt and more
- Eden Coffee House
- Coffee and Cake
- Ice Cream Parlours
- Med Bar
- Several Gift Shop
- Selling gifts, food and plants
- Dogs allowed, certain areas
- Things to explore
- Rainforest Biome
- Outdoor Gardens
- Includes art installations and play areas
- Mediterranean Biome
- Invisible worlds exhibition
- Core Building
- Zip Wire
- Giant Swing
- Aerial Assault Course
- Land train – currently closed due to COVID-19
- Can book a single day ticket using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers
- The Eden Project
Drive time to Looe 20 mins
- Keep an eye on this website and our YouTube channel Ears And Ideas as there will be a video and factsheet of our day in Looe coming soon.
Drive time to Polperro 30 mins
Drive time to Fowey 30 mins
Drive time to Plymouth 35 mins
Drive time to Newquay 40 mins
Drive time to Port Isaac 45 mins
Drive time to Padstow 45 mins
Drive time to Tintagel 50 mins
Drive time to Bude 1hr
Drive time to Falmouth 1hr 5 mins
Drive time to Salcombe 1hr 15 mins
Drive time to Dartmouth 1hr 21 mins
- Keep an eye on this website and our YouTube channel Ears And Ideas as there will be a video and factsheet of our day in Dartmouth coming soon.
Drive time to Bodmin 20 mina
- Bodmin Jail
- Bodmin Moor
- Liskeard Train Station
- 7 minute drive from Southern Halt
- PL14 4DX
- 80 parking spaces
- £2.00 per day
- Toilets (platform 2)
- Ticket office and ticket machines
- Travel to Plymouth
- 24 minute journey
- £6.70 off peak day return
- £10.40 anytime day return
- Travel to Looe
- 29 minute journey
- £4.70 off peak day return
- £5.10 anytime day return
- Travel to Penzance
- 90 minute journey
- £11.70 off peak day return (earliest 08.44)
- £19.20 anytime day return
- Walk left through shopping area
- Travel to Exeter St Davids
Information correct as of the 4th August 2021 based on train travel on Tuesday 14th September 2021.
Can you get discounts for stays at Southern Halt?
Booking is by Sykes Holidays
Tesco Clubcard deals
If you are new to Tesco Clubcard deals, I have written an article to help you. I use my vouchers for a mixture of hotel stays and Hoseasons Holiday discounts. How your grocery shopping can help pay for your travels! – Ears and Ideas
As above if you are new to Quidco, I have written an article. But basically, if you are a member (free and paid memberships) just by going through their site you can get cashback. I have received almost £500 from the past few years. Save Money On Your Next Trip – Ears and Ideas
The final one I would suggest you check out is TopCashBack, again I have written an article if you’re a new to this site, it works in the same way as Quidco. Want to get your next trip cheaper? – Ears and Ideas
It is also worth checking if there are vouchers or cashback available for activities you might want to do during your trip.
Some useful information on the Southern Halt Lodges.
It is always a good idea to check out blogs, reviews and youtube before you book any accommodation.
This was a free stay for us as we won it in a prize.
On trip advisor as of the 21st August 2021 there were only 5 reviews so nothing to go on really, except the fact that folks are generally quicker to moan than compliment.
On trip advisor, as of the 21st of August 2021, this was their rating out of reviews
Very Good 10%
All information was correct and links were active when the post was written in September of 2021.