Where is Dartmouth?
Dartmouth is a historic waterfront market town, set on the west bank of the River Dart.
Dartmouth is in the English County of Devon, which is in the South West corner of the UK.
Where to park in Dartmouth?
There is parking for Dartmouth at Mayors Avenue Car Park. The postcode for Mayors Avenue Car Park is TQ6 9NF. You will find current charges here Dartmouth Car Parks – South Hams District Council. It also includes other parking in Dartmouth. This is a pay and display car park. I dislike having to predetermine how long I plan to stay somewhere.
Why did we choose the Dartmouth Park and Ride?
- A better chance of getting a parking space
- Toilets in the car park
- On site Supermarkets in case we wanted to grab some bits to take back to our lodge.
- Not having to predetermine how long we wanted to stay in Dartmouth.
- The postcode is TQ6 0JL
- All day tickets code £5.00 and covers up to 6 people.
- Dogs can travel on the park and ride bus.
- For our visit during September 2021 there was a bus every 20 minutes.
- The service runs from 8am (9.30am Sundays) until 7pm (after this time you can use the Stagecoach South West Bus, that gets you close to the Park and Ride)
- Dartmouth Park and Ride – South Hams District Council
What is there to do and see in Dartmouth?
This is an area of outstanding beauty
- The last coal fired paddle steamer in the UK
- Built in 1924
- Historic paddles teamer located in Dartmouth, South Devon (paddlesteamerkc.co.uk)
- Guarding the mouth of the River Dart
- Dartmouth Castle | English Heritage (english-heritage.org.uk)
- A medieval fort built between 1642 and 1651 – during the English Civil War
- Ruins found on the Little Dartmouth circular walk
- Gallants Bower | National Trust
St Petrox Church
- A medieval church located towards the mouth of the River Dart
- Remarked on in books as going back to 1192
- St Petrox | Church | Benefice of Dartmouth & Dittisham (dartmouthanddittisham-anglican.org)
- Found in a terrace of houses built around 1640
- Dartmouth Museum – Dartmouth Museum
Dartmouth Steam Railway
- You can see the Steam trains on their travels from the Dartmouth waterfront.
- Dartmouth Steam Railway And River Boat Company (dartmouthrailriver.co.uk)
Britannia Royal Naval College
- This is where the Queen first me Prince Philip in 1939
- Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth | Royal Navy (mod.uk)
- A short boat trip with spectacular views of Dartmouth
- from Dartmouth’s South Embankment to ‘Stumpy Steps’ next to St Petrox Church
- Dartmouth Castle Ferry – Dartmouth Castle Ferry
- The last remaining tug and float ferry.
- A vehicle and passenger ferry
- The current ferry was put into use on Monday 15th June 2009
- It crosses the River Dart from Dartmouth to Kingswear
- A vehicle and passenger ferry
- The most efficient way to cross the River Dart
- Dartmouth Higher Ferry – Shuttle car and passenger ferry across the river Dart (dkfb.co.uk)
Bayards Cove Fort
- Built between 1522 and 1536
- Bayard’s Cove Fort | English Heritage (english-heritage.org.uk)
- Includes a Gin School and Gin Tastings
- The Dartmouth Distillery Co | Gin School (dartmouth-gin.com)
Children’s play areas
Enjoy a walk along the coast
- Boat hire
- Kayaks & Paddleboards
- And more
Dartmouth Town with an abundance of pretty houses, narrow streets, independent shops and many food and drink outlets.
- Off Victoria Road
- Food and drink outlets
- Public Toilets
- A wide variety market stalls
- In high season it is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- The on site shops are open Monday to Saturday
- It was build in 1828
- The Old Market | Dartmouth Town Council
Dartmouth Grey Seals and Dart Salmon
Dartmouth Park and Ride open top bus
- This is an attraction in itself as the views as you get close to the waterside are spectacular.
- Parking | Dartmouth Town Council
On the day we visited there was a small cruise ship anchored on The River Dart.
What is close to Dartmouth?
- Video at https://youtu.be/WuOUptd8YvA
- Factsheet on Paignton Paignton Factsheet – Ears and Ideas
- Paignton Zoo
- Video at https://youtu.be/tnEyG_e1GdY
- Factsheet on Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo Factsheet – Ears and Ideas
- Factsheet and video on Looe is coming soon
Where to stay near Dartmouth?
We stayed in the following accommodation which is not far to drive for Dartmouth.
Southern Halt Lodges
- Factsheet on Southern Halt Lodges is coming soon.
- Video at https://youtu.be/PxnB-yCJSKo
- We also have a video showing the drive to the Dartmouth Park and Ride from the Tamar Bridge https://youtu.be/2fZRieF0b7A
- Factsheet on the Torquay Travelodge Travelodge Hotel Torquay UK Factsheet – Ears and Ideas
- Video at https://youtu.be/59sX9WvnHeo
It is always worth checking if there are vouchers or cashback available for activities you might want to do during your trip.
Tesco Clubcard deals
If you are new to Tesco Clubcard deals, I have written an article to help you. I use my vouchers for a mixture of hotel stays and Hoseason Holiday discounts. How your grocery shopping can help pay for your travels! – Ears and Ideas
As above if you are new to Quidco, I have written an article. But basically, if you are a member (free and paid memberships) just by going through their site you can get cashback. I have received almost £500 from the past few years. Save Money On Your Next Trip – Ears and Ideas
The final one I would suggest you check out is TopCashBack, again I have written an article if you’re a new to this site, it works in the same way as Quidco. Want to get your next trip cheaper? – Ears and Ideas
It is also worth checking if there are vouchers or cashback available for accomodation you might want to do during your trip.
Here at Ears and Ideas the website has many Factsheets, this includes UK destinations, UK accommodations, Disney Cruises, Disney Videos, UK days out, with many more planned for the future.
Our YouTube channel provides videos that work alongside all of the above, plus many car journeys
All information was correct and links were active when the post was written in February 2022